4 ways IBM has embraced an open, hybrid multicloud approach

PIERRE COYNE | December 3, 2018

article image
Most companies are just getting started on their cloud journey.They’ve maybe completed 10 to 20 percent of the trek, with a focus on cost and productivity efficiency, as well as scaling compute power. There’s a lot more though to unlock in that remaining 80 percent: shifting business applications to the cloud and optimizing supply chains and sales, which will require moving and managing data across multiple clouds.To accomplish those things easily and securely, businesses need an open, hybrid multicloud approach. While most companies acknowledge they are embracing hybrid multicloud environments, well over half attest to not having the right tools, processes or strategy in place to gain control of them. Here are four of the recent steps IBM has taken to help our clients embrace just that type of approach.

Spotlight

Megaport

Megaport is the leader in global Software Defined Networking (SDN); the Company’s global platform enables customers to rapidly connect their network to other services across the Megaport network. Services can be directly controlled by customers via mobile devices, their computer, or our open API. The Company’s extensive footprint in Australia, Asia Pacific, North America, and Europe provides a neutral platform that spans many key data centre providers across various markets.

OTHER ARTICLES

Virtualization Can Help Substantially Reduce Computing Costs

Article | August 9, 2021

Businesses use a lot of technology to keep themselves competitive and Businesses use a lot of technology to keep themselves competitive and operationally efficient. One way that organizations use to make their technology infrastructure more accessible is through the use of virtualization. Let’s discuss what virtualization is, how it benefits businesses, and some examples of how you might consider leveraging virtualization to your company’s benefit. Virtualization for Hardware and Software Virtualization in its most basic sense is taking something and making it virtual. In regards to hardware and software, it involves taking these parts of your technology infrastructure and making them available in a virtual environment. Virtual applications and hardware solutions can be deployed to the cloud so that they can be accessed by any online device. Some examples of virtualization might include creating virtual machines, like workstations and server units, that are hosted in a virtual environment for as-needed access

Read More

Scaling Your Business the Easy Way—with SD-WAN as a Service

Article | May 28, 2021

SD-WANs are a critical component of digital transformation. Using software-defined networking (SDN) and virtual network functions (VNF) concepts to build and manage a wide area network (WAN) helps businesses successfully transition their infrastructure to the cloud by securely connecting hybrid multicloud architectures. But SD-WANs can do more than just facilitate a transition to the cloud —they make it faster and less expensive to expand your business.

Read More

Discovering SCVMM and Its Features

Article | May 26, 2021

System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) is a management tool for Microsoft’s Hyper-V virtualization platform. It is part of Microsoft’s System Center product suite, which also includes Configuration Manager and Operations Manager, among other tools. SCVMM provides a single pane of glass for managing your on-premises and cloud-based Hyper-V infrastructures, and it’s a more capable alternative to Windows Server tools built for the same purpose.

Read More

How virtualization helped Dell make a pandemic pivot

Article | April 14, 2021

Danny Cobb, fellow and vice president of engineering for Dell Technologies’ telco systems business, remembers his company cruising into early 2020: Kicking off a new fiscal year with its operating plan in place, supply chain nailed down and factories humming; people coming into the office each day to the usual routine of looking for parking spots and taking laptops down to the cafeteria. Then came March, and the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic hit U.S. shores. In the course of one weekend, Dell pivoted to having more than 90% of its workforce working from home. That meant a dramatic shift in its network needs and operations – one that was only able to be accomplished so quickly because of virtualized infrastructure.

Read More

Spotlight

Megaport

Megaport is the leader in global Software Defined Networking (SDN); the Company’s global platform enables customers to rapidly connect their network to other services across the Megaport network. Services can be directly controlled by customers via mobile devices, their computer, or our open API. The Company’s extensive footprint in Australia, Asia Pacific, North America, and Europe provides a neutral platform that spans many key data centre providers across various markets.

Events